FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India which is an organization that monitors and governs the food business in India. FSSAI Registration is a basic license and it is required for all the FBOs involved in the small-scale food business.
Need for FSSAI Registration
The FBOs carrying on the following kinds of business are mandatorily required to obtain an FSSAI Registration/License
- Petty retailers and retail shops such as Retail Shop, Snacks shop, Confectionery or Bakery Shop, etc.
- Temporary stalls or fixed stall or food premise involved in the preparation, distribution, storage and sale of food products such as Gol Gappa stall, chat stall, fruits/vegetable vendors, Tea Stall, snacks stall, Bread pakoda stall, Samosa stall, Chinese food stall, South Indian food stall, sweet stall, juice shops, etc.
- Hawkers who sell packaged or freshly prepared food by travelling (usually on foot or movable carts) from one location to another.
- Dairy Units including Milk Chilling Units, Petty Milkman and Milk Vendors.
- Vegetable Oil Processing Units.
- Slaughtering houses such as meat shops, mutton shops, chicken shops, lamb meat, etc.
- Meat Processing and Fish Processing units.
Types of FSSAI Registration
● FSSAI Basic Registration – FBOs having a turnover of less than Rs.12 lakh p.a must obtain FSSAI basic registration. The FSSAI registration form that the applicant has to fill to obtain FSSAI basic registration is Form A.
● FSSAI State License – FBOs having a turnover of more than Rs.12 lakh p.a and less than Rs.20 crore p.a must obtain the FSSAI state license. The FSSAI registration form that the applicant has to fill to obtain an FSSAI state license is Form B.
● FSSAI Central License – FBOs having a turnover of more than Rs.20 crore p.a must obtain the FSSAI central license. The FSSAI registration form that the applicant has to fill to obtain FSSAI central license is Form- B.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
- Photo of Food Business Operator.
- Document for Identity Proof like Ration Card, Voter ID Card, PAN Card, Driving License, Passport, Aadhar Card, Senior Citizen Card, Department Issued ID.
- Supporting Documents (if any):- NOC by Municipality or Panchayat, Health NOC.